The GPS Fleet Tracking industry is coming into its own from a technical perspective.
A couple of the more sophisticated companies like Vehicle Tracking Solutions have truly made the transition from hardware-centric companies to modern cloud-based SaaS software firms. They are helping organizations who are heavily dependent on their vehicle and equipment assets increase profitability, reduce risk and drive profitability.
GPS Fleet Tracking
Unfortunately, one of the areas where many of the GPS Fleet Tracking industry players have not caught up to the rest of the tech world is in their approach to pricing and associated client onboarding models. They are charging for hardware, installation and various nickel and dime activities. Additionally, they are outsourcing their installation and onboarding. While Vehicle Tracking Solutions can easily support this model (better for us) it is an older structure that tech savvy organizations who are used to deploying cloud based software would not typically embrace.
Questions to ask when you are seeking to choose a GPS Fleet Tracking company:
- Is everything included in one single monthly number?
- What is the Total Cost of Ownership for the term?
- Is there a charge for hardware?
- Is there a charge for installation?
- Are the installers employees of the fleet management software company or outsourced third parties (this is a really vital component from both an initial set up and ongoing relationship standpoint)?
- Is a training program included?
- Is ongoing training included?
- Is all of your necessary functionality included (unfortunately the hidden cost tactic is used by many GPS companies)?
- Do you have access to historical data?
- Are Apple and Android mobile apps included?
- Do you get unlimited users with your program?
- Is access to the company’s API included?
GPS Fleet Tracking software should not be different than any other modern software you consume. Hopefully, these questions will enable you to compare apples to apples so you can make a sound business decision. Due to the number of frustrated clients moving to VTS from other products we are becoming quite knowledgeable when it comes to the numerous less than transparent pricing models in the industry.
Obviously, we would love the opportunity to collaborate with you on this key business initiative. That being said, one of our core company initiatives is to drive industry best practices so we all benefit as this critical technology continues its innovation path. Therefore, we would urge you to use us as a resource during your industry exploration.
Please do not hesitate to call me with any questions or if I can be of any help. I will strive to share my unbiased insight into the do’s and don’ts of our industry. Thank you.
Vice President of Sales